Entry 3: Preliminary Research and Methods

Friday, November 13, 2020



As a university student, I've noticed how often my peers and I compromised the nutrition of our meals for something more practical and affordable to cook. Hence, I decided to make a mobile application that would help university students cook healthier and more beneficial meals.  



Research Hypothesis

In an attempt to help students better their eating habits, I am planning on including these features: 


1. "Input Ingredient" Feature - users would catalog grocery and ingredients they have. This will help with managing their grocery. 

2. "Find A Recipe" Feature - would return a list of recipes users can cook with ingredients they have in their pantry. This feature would use the data given by the user in the "Input Ingredient" Feature. 

3. Augmented Reality Measuring Tool - Will utilize the user's camera to measure the volume of the cooking material they have. 

4. Augmented Reality Cooking Guide - Users would use their phone camera to point to their cooking bench as the app guides them with cooking steps. 



Research Method

To better create an effective tool in solving the issue mentioned, I've conducted research involving university students all over London. 


Research Complications

Due to the current pandemic, the research could no be done in person. Hence I formulated a research method that adapts to the social distancing regulations while still acquiring useful data. 


Method

Created an online survey with questions that revolve around their cooking and eating habits, and their thoughts about the features I plan on including in the app. 

I then generate a QR code that directs people to the survey link. With the consent of all parties involved, I distributed the QR code through university group chats and printed them out in a form of flyers to be displayed at Camberwell University of the Art's Cafeteria and a student accommodation in London. 



Below is a screenshot of the survey questions and options I included to help with my project. 





Post a Comment

© Hilary Young. .